Wednesday, October 29, 2008

With the economy such as it is, business has slowed down. I have a little more time on my hands to write.

I have spent a lot of time recently thinking about mid-life transition and what it means. Authors such as Robert Johnson and Kathleen Brehony have written extensively about it. I highly recommend Brehony's book, Awakening at Midlife. I am thinking about it more because I am there. I recently turned 41. I find myself asking myself a lot of questions about what is important in life. Its an exciting time. And, at times scary. This period of ones life often means change, change can be scary.

I came across the following passage by the poet Robert Bly. I like it because it describes what happens to us as children and why a midlife transition is necessary.

When we were one or two years old we had what we might call a 360-degree personality. Energy radiated out from all parts of our body and all parts of our psyche. A child running is a living globe of energy, all right; but one day we noticed that our parents didn't like certain parts of that ball. They said things like: "Can't you be still? Or "It isn't nice to try and kill your brother." Behind us we have an invisible bag, and the part of us our parents don't like, we, to keep our parents love, put in the bag. By the time we go to school our bag is quite large. Then our teachers have their say; "Good children don't get angry over little things." So we take our anger and put it in the bag. By the time my brother and I were twelve in Madison, Minnesota, we were known as "the nice Bly boys." Our bags we already a mile long.

No comments: