Monday, June 09, 2008

I am thinking in terms of metaphors a lot these days. This weekend was no exception.

I had an old rusty grill on my deck. Its been sitting there for a long time waiting for me to do something about it. I wanted it gone but, for the longest time I wouldn't take action. I finally decided that it was time to do something, I became willing to do something about it.

My first inclination was to be impulsive and toss it over the edge of the deck. This would have been quickest but probably the least effective and most painful method. Causing damage not only to the grill but to everything around it. I decided, that the best way to get rid of the grill was to disassemble it and take it down one piece at a time. While it took longer, the end result was better.

This reminds me of so many aspects of my life that require work. Whether it is dealing with some less than stellar character trait or something more mundane like paying off a credit card. I want the problem gone but am often unwilling to look at it honestly and take action. Then, when I finally do become willing, I want it over with quickly. I often make rash decisions rather than going about dealing with the problem in a slow, steady, methodical manner.

Somethings in life take time and can't be rushed. What I am learning and try to remind my clients all the time is to focus on the next right thing to do, rather than trying to climb the whole mountain at once. Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

No comments: