Monday, June 02, 2008

If we're willing to give up hope that insecurity and pain can be exterminated, then we can have the courage to relax with the groundlessness of our situation. This is the first step on the path.
- Pema Chodron, When Things Fall Apart
As I read the above quote, I was reminded of how much time and energy we spend trying to take care of my insecurities and pain. There are a multitude of ways that we try to escape the unpleasantness, boredom, or pain of a situation. We immediately want to numb it or run away from it. Yet, that never really helps. I was with a friend this weekend who found himself in an embarrassing situation. As he considered the myriad of ways to cover up or hide the situation he was left with one inarguable fact, he could never really hide it from himself. And, as long as he lied to others about it, he only compounded the problem. He simply wanted to run away from the pain.
After a lot of thought and much discussion he decided to tell the truth and make an amends to some people, in doing so, his emotional pain began to subside. It didn't go away, but brought into the light of day, rather than hidden, he could see that it wasn't as scary as he thought. He was able to achieve a greater level of peace and freedom from the situation.
And so, I am reminded that no matter how hard I try I can't really escape the pain. My best solution, regardless of whatever area of life, is to turn and face it head on. In doing so, I reclaim my power, my dignity, my peace and my freedom.

No comments: